Long Term Project
These projects, which go on for many years, include vocational training, counseling and rehabilitation services for youth immigrants, refugees, disabled, and other disadvantaged groups. Presently SCI India is engaged in following:
The Vedanthangal (Tamil Nadu) Project is about 35years old. An agricultural cum medical project was taken up and a dispensary was started by SCI with the help of a volunteer nurse and later an antenatal clinic was added. The health program was expanded into a full-fledged clinic and health education for the mothers. Three large open wells and three small buildings have been built up.
Some of the ongoing projects are a crèche for the village children, an English medium school, night schools, vocational training with tailoring units, computer classes etc.
A new focus is being brought on sustainable life style programs. The following modules are already completed/ in progress:
- A model herbal garden and plantation of coconut trees
- Fixing street lights and internal wiring in the buildings
- Conservation of irrigation water by adopting sprinklersystem
- Rain water harvesting
- Zero garbage program
- Connectivity through Computer Training Programs and Internet
This project was started way back in 1970s in the slum colony in Nangloi about 30 kms.from New Delhi.This centre since then works for the social upliftment of the weaker sections of society, by imparting formal education to children of the nearby slums.
- It takes up tailoring class with the help of Bal Bhavan for the girls of the community.
- A painting, clay modeling, class is taken up with the help of Bal Sahyog.
- Mehandi, facial and embroidery class is also conducted.
- A computer training class is also being planned.
- An Eye clinic and a General physician also operates from this premises.
- A TB Dot programme is conducted to supply pills to the effected patients regularly.